Fighting Cancer Together
As a member of the Sarah Cannon Cancer Network of Excellence, our family of hospitals is on the leading edge of cancer treatment and clinical trials. Sarah Cannon is the global cancer enterprise of our parent company, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA). The network offers leading-edge clinical research alongside integrated cancer care services for thousands of oncology patients.
By partnering with Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute, Johnston-Willis Hospital is bringing even more advanced cancer care closer to our patients and their families. This collaboration means you or your family members will have even greater access to one of the world's leading teams of cancer specialists, breakthrough researchers and compassionate caregivers right here in Richmond, Virginia.
Integrated Comprehensive and Experienced Care
Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Johnston-Willis Hospital provides both inpatient and outpatient cancer treatment several cancer support services and organizations, including the Hawthorne Cancer Resource Center, the Susan G. Komen organization, Legal Information Network for Cancer (LINC) and The Hawthorne Cancer Foundation. We’ve got the experience and compassion you’re looking for and deserve in a cancer diagnosis and treatment center.
Unlike other health care facilities, where patients may have to visit multiple buildings or locations for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care we integrate all of these components of your care and treatment just a few steps from our valet or convenient designated parking. Every detail of our facility was designed to make your experience as convenient and comfortable as possible.
Clinical Features & Accolades
- Accredited as a Comprehensive Community Cancer Program by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
- The first (and only one of two hospitals in the United States) to receive The Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval for brain tumor care
- Accredited breast center by the American College of Surgeons
- Accredited as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology
- Accredited facility for radiation oncology by the American College of Radiology
- Home to the only Gamma Knife® Perfexion™ in the area
- National clinical research trials
- Host site to the latest technologies and services, including Gamma Knife, MammoSite™ partial breast irradiation and Trilogy™ stereotactic body radiosurgery
- Oncology nurse navigators to guide patients from diagnosis through treatment and survivorship
- Minimally invasive surgical options
- Survivorship planning
- Clinical team that includes oncology certified nurses, specialized pharmacists, dietitians, nurse navigators, therapists (including lymphedema therapists), supportive care counselors and social workers
- Board-certified physician team made up of specialists in medical oncology, radiation oncology, hematology, gynecology, internal medicine, pathology, palliative care, plastic and reconstructive surgery, radiology, primary care, pulmonary medicine, neurosurgery, thoracic surgery, and urology
On-Site Conveniences & Cancer Support Services
- Coffee and juice bar
- Free valet and designated parking
- The Hawthorne Cancer Resource Center with specialized support groups and library
- The Hawthorne Cancer Foundation
- Susan G. Komen office
- Legal Information Network for Cancer (LINC)
- Community events
- Financial counseling
- Nutritional counseling
- Supportive care counseling
- The Foot & Hand Spa
- Free wireless access
With the individualized assistance of our nurse navigators, you can get back to your life, work and family by learning to adapt to changes in your energy level and stamina, nutrition, and medications and the potential for lymphedema or swelling and fluid retention. Classes, support groups, educational resources and survivor events all help restore your quality of life.
Members of your care team work together to help you succeed in developing a plan for your ongoing health care. Whether your life returns to the way it was before your cancer diagnosis and treatment or you're facing a new normal that encompasses concerns about your physical and emotional health or finances, planning for your future helps you move forward productively.