The Most Advanced Surgical Technologies
Johnston-Willis Hospital offers you the most advanced versions of da Vinci surgical tools. Widely considered to be the most effective and least invasive surgical technology available, the da Vinci® Robotic Surgery System combines computer and robotic technologies to treat a broad range of conditions.
Surgeries performed at Johnston-Willis with one of our three da Vinci® Robotic Surgery Systems use tiny incisions, much smaller than those of traditional surgery, to insert miniature instruments and a high-definition 3-D camera. Your surgeon views a magnified, high-resolution 3-D image of the surgical site while controlling the robotic equipment, which translates the surgeon's hand movements into precise movements to perform the operation.
The Wide Uses of da Vinci Robotic Surgery Systems
Johnston-Willis Hospital uses da Vinci® Robotic Surgery Systems to perform single incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS) and a wide range of surgeries, including:
- Urological: The da Vinci® Robotic Surgery System’s precise targeting is ideal for the delicate operations required during urologic procedures, where the surgical site is often tightly confined and close to nerves affecting urinary control and sexual function.
- Prostatectomy (prostate removal)
- Adrenalectomy (adrenal gland removal)
- Complete or partial nephrectomy (kidney removal)
- Gynecological: The da Vinci® Robotic Surgery System allows your surgeon a better view of the internal organs with a higher degree of precision, which is especially critical when working around delicate and confined structures like the bladder. This is a distinct advantage when performing gynecological procedures such as:
- Radical/complex hysterectomy involving complications from prior surgery or disease
- Tubal reversal
- Myomectomy (fibroid removal)
- Gynecological cancers: Our expert surgeons are world-renowned for detecting and treating gynecologic cancers. Removing and treating these cancers with the minimally invasive da Vinci® robotic surgery system improves your recovery time.
- Urogynecological: The da Vinci® Robotic Surgery System is used to treat pelvic floor prolapse. This surgery is called sacrocolopoexy and involves using mesh to hold the affected pelvic organ(s) in their natural position. This kind of surgery requires the most precise and minimally-invasive tools, such as those used with the da Vinci® Robotic Surgery System.
- Colorectal: We use the da Vinci® Robotic Surgery System for colorectal surgeries to allow for a few small incisions instead of the traditional single, large abdominal incision. Colorectal surgeries we perform with the da Vinci® Robotic Surgery System include surgeries for colon or rectal cancer, diverticulitis, complex hernia, low anterior resection and inflammatory bowel disease.
Benefits of da Vinci®
Facing an upcoming surgery can be worrisome. You’re likely concerned about your down-time, the pain you’re facing, the scars that will linger and missing time from work. But when your Johnston-Willis Hospital surgeon decides that using the da Vinci® Robotic Surgery System is part of your surgical treatment, benefits can include:
- A shorter hospital stay
- Less blood loss
- Fewer complications
- Less need for narcotic pain medicine
- A faster recovery
- Smaller incisions with minimal scarring
Our focus is returning you to the lifestyle you know and love. And thanks to Johnston-Willis Hospital’s advanced surgical techniques, like da Vinci®, we’re able to return you to your active lifestyle more quickly.