Expert in Restoring Your Mobility
When you allow the specialists at Johnston-Willis Hospital to treat your orthopedic issues, you’re assured leading orthopedic and spine care.
- We’re certified by The Joint Commission for Total Hip and Total Knee Replacement.
- Our experienced orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons perform the most complex procedures in Central Virginia, making us the best and most experienced in the region.
$host.facilityNamel's orthopedic program brings a team approach to your care. From joint replacements to surgical repair to therapy, our experience and expertise means less pain and faster recovery.
We offer a comprehensive collection of inpatient and outpatient orthopedic surgeries, with facilities and therapists dedicated to our orthopedic specialties. Our extensive preoperative education program helps you understand the process and your role in returning to a functioning, healthy life.
Total Hip Replacement
When joint pain is severe and interferes with daily activities and work, joint replacement may be an option. Signs that it might be time for a hip replacement:
- You’re no longer as mobile as you’d like to be
- Your pain persists or recurs over time
- Your hip aches during and after exercise
- Medication and using a cane aren’t delivering enough relief
- Your hip stiffens up from sitting in a car or not moving for a certain period of time
- The pain prevents you from sleeping
- Your hip is stiff or swollen
Total Knee Replacement
The knee is one of the largest and most complex joints in the body and is most easily injured. It is made up of: bones, cartilage, ligaments, and tendons. Many knee injuries can be successfully treated with simple measures, such as bracing and rehabilitation exercises. Other injuries may require surgery to correct. The most common knee injuries include fractures around the knee, dislocation, and sprains and tears of soft tissues. Pain and swelling are the most common signs of knee injury.
When it comes to your spine, you want the most experienced clinical teams working with you. That’s what you get when you choose Johnston-Willis Hospital as your hospital for spinal surgery. Johnston-Willis is one of very few hospitals on the East Coast with operating suites and teams completely dedicated to brain and nervous system care, with the most sophisticated intensive care units and patient transition facilities.
With coordinated brain, nervous system, stroke care and resources such as Johnston-Willis Hospital’s Neuroscience and Gamma Knife Center and Center of Excellence for Robotic Surgery, you gain the benefits of advanced technology. Our tools for highly precise imaging lead to more accurate diagnoses and more targeted treatment. Our minimally invasive options, including the use of robotics, like Mazor, available at Johnston-Willis, result in shorter surgeries with better outcomes, including less time in the hospital and a quicker return to daily life.
Sports Injuries & Arthroscopic Surgeries
Any sport-related injury can sideline you unexpectedly. Johnston-Willis Hospital can provide the appropriate care and treatment that will prevent future injuries and get you back to your active lifestyle.
Our extensive sports medicine network in Richmond, VA features the combined clinical expertise of the region’s largest team of board-certified primary care sports medicine physicians, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons, licensed physical therapists, certified athletic trainers, and sports performance specialists
Shoulder & Elbow
Shoulder and elbow joints allow you to bend, flex, reach, and rotate your arms. Severe shoulder and elbow pain can limit your everyday activities and keep you from doing the things you love. We can help, and best of all – we’re located close to home.
Shoulder and elbow procedures we offer:
- Total shoulder replacement
- Reverse shoulder replacement
- Partial shoulder (hemi) replacement
- Shoulder replacement revision
Foot and Ankle Problems
When pain affects your feet or ankles, it can bring activities to a complete halt. Our specialists have the latest assessment tools, technology and experience to relieve your pain. Sometimes surgery can be prevented with therapy and lifestyle changes. But when it’s necessary, our team has the skills and expert training to correct your problem and get your life back in motion.
Our experience includes:
- Repairing severed or compressed nerves
- Repairing and reconstructing tendons
- Treating tendonitis and stress fractures
Hand & Upper Extremity Issues
Your hands and wrists are essential tools that allow you to work, play and perform everyday activities. How well the hand and wrist interact depends on the integrity and function of the ligaments. Treating conditions of the hands and upper extremities require a high degree of skill and precision because of the delicate veins, nerves, and ligaments involved.
Specialized Services for Hands:
- Outpatient Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Surgery
- Minimally-Invasive Arthroscopic Surgery
- Trigger Finger Treatment
Use of Robotics in Orthopedic Surgeries
When faced with the possibility of surgery, patients are naturally concerned about down-time. Returning you to your active lifestyle as quickly and safely as possible is a shared goal you’ll have with the surgeons and healthcare providers at Johnston-Willis Hospital.
Technological advancements in healthcare and surgery have made it possible for some surgeries to be performed with robotics. If your Johnston-Willis Hospital surgeon has recommended you for robotic surgery, potential benefits include:
- Less blood loss
- Fewer complications
- Less need for narcotic pain medicine
- A faster recovery
- Smaller incisions with minimal scarring
Inpatient Rehabilitation Center
Johnston-Willis Hospital Inpatient Rehabilitation Center in Richmond, Virginia, provides comprehensive medical rehabilitation to adults with physical impairments and disability resulting from disease, dysfunction, or trauma. Our interdisciplinary team of healthcare professionals strives to provide treatment in a caring and compassionate manner that respects and adheres to the principles of individual differences, patient confidentiality, and holistic healthcare.
Our rehabilitation team is committed to the following goals:
- Provide patients with an individualized treatment program to maximize independence, mobility, communication and leisure skills
- Provide support and education to patients and their families to promote a successful return to their homes
- Optimize patient recovery and manage ongoing medical conditions
- Provide integrated inpatient and outpatient care that will serve as a model for rehabilitation in our community