One of Central Virginia’s Top Choices for Pregnancy and Childbirth Care
A healthy baby starts with a healthy pregnancy and birth. That’s why Johnston-Willis Hospital in Richmond offers customized prenatal care, labor and delivery services, and ongoing postpartum support.
Our OB/GYN team will help you create a birth experience that meets your medical needs and personal preferences, whether your pregnancy is routine or high-risk. You have access to comprehensive care that includes natural, low-intervention birth options and expert perinatology care. Take a video virtual tour of our birth center now.
Our pregnancy and birth services include:
- Prenatal classes and education
- High-risk pregnancy care
- Neonatal intensive care
- Maternal addiction services
Why Choose Johnston-Willis Hospital for Your Baby’s Birth
When you deliver your baby at Johnston-Willis Hospital, you receive care that is safe and supportive. Mothers trust us because:
- We’ve cared for generations of Chesterfield County families. Founded in 1909, we deliver more than 1,500 babies annually. Our caregivers — including obstetricians, gynecologists, anesthesiologists, maternal-fetal medicine specialists, neonatologists, and nurse practitioners — work together to ensure your delivery goes smoothly.
- We’re recognized for our care. Johnston-Willis Hospital has been named a Blue Distinction Center for Maternity Care by the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. This means we’re recognized for providing cost-efficient, high-quality maternity care.
- We honor your choices. You know your body better than anyone and we trust your instincts. You choose how to manage labor and delivery and we help you plan your experience. We also welcome and support doula care and can connect you to a doula in Richmond.
- You and your baby are safe here. Because unexpected complications can occur during labor and delivery, it’s important to choose a birth center that can handle emergencies at a moment’s notice. We offer a Level III NICU for premature or critically ill newborns, and enhanced security measures.
- We’re also recognized for breastfeeding support. We’ve earned the Virginia Department of Health’s “Breastfeeding-Friendly” designation for our efforts to promote and support breastfeeding among new mothers.
- Integrated care for all your needs. Johnston-Willis Hospital offers specialized women’s health services for every stage of life. And pediatric emergency care is also available on-site. We’re with you every step of the way.
Ensuring a Healthy Start – Prenatal Care for You and Your Baby
Whether you’re coping with morning sickness or confused about the signs of labor, you’ll find services to help you stay healthy and care for your newborn with confidence. We offer:
- Birth center tours and childbirth classes. We offer guided tours of our maternity unit, so you know what to expect and can ask questions ahead of time. We also have a wide range of classes covering labor and delivery, breastfeeding, nutrition, caring for baby, and preparing your family for the new baby’s arrival.
- Tailored birth planning. Choose from an array of care personalized to your needs. We provide low-intervention birth options such as natural pain management techniques, wireless fetal monitoring, and immediate skin-to-skin contact for you and your infant.
- High-risk pregnancy care. It’s natural to feel nervous if you’re carrying multiples, have certain medical conditions, or have had previous problems during pregnancy or delivery. But you can take comfort knowing our specialists routinely and successfully care for women considered high-risk.
An Unforgettable Birth – Personalized Labor and Delivery Care
On the big day, your baby will be born in a safe, soothing environment. We offer:
- A private, comfortable experience. Our large maternity suites allow you to labor your way, with the help of your caregiver or support person. We offer soaking tubs for hydrotherapy, private bathrooms, and sleeping arrangements for your partner. Even better, you won’t need to change rooms after your baby is born. You’ll recover and bond with your baby in the same space you gave birth.
- Welcoming, family-friendly setting. With snacks and beverages available for you and your partner in our family kitchen, and spacious waiting areas nearby, your support team will feel right at home throughout labor and delivery.
- Medical team ready for anything. Our team is here for whatever you need, 24/7. We have the latest obstetric technology and resources, including anesthesiologists on-site and dedicated operating rooms nearby for unplanned or emergency C-sections.
The Transition Home – Postpartum Care with Ongoing Support
You receive abundant support and encouragement after your baby is born — in the hospital and at home. Our services include:
- Family-centered care. We practice couplet care (also known as rooming in), so you and your partner can get to know your baby in a private setting. This means your baby stays with you in the room at all times, even during examinations. And the same nurse cares for you and your baby.
- A celebratory meal. We help make your experience memorable by providing you and your partner a special, complementary meal after your baby’s birth.
- Comprehensive breastfeeding support. Whether you’re experiencing nipple pain or can’t get your baby to latch, our on-site, International Board-Certified Lactation Consultants will help. After discharge, you can call a lactation consultant at (804) 483-2253. We also offer at-home consultations and breastfeeding support groups.
- Access to donor milk. If your baby needs more breast milk than you can supply, we offer human milk from donors. Our partnership with Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters means your baby can continue to receive the health benefits of breast milk.
- Ongoing support and counseling. It’s natural to feel overwhelmed with the challenges of motherhood, but you don’t have to do it alone. Learn more about postpartum support groups, or find 24/7 support for postpartum depression at our sister hospital, Chippenham Hospital.
- Baby photography. Johnston-Willis Hospital partners with Mom365 for newborn portraits and an online gallery for family and friends. Learn more about the Mom365 photo experience.
Baby on the way? Chances are you have a million questions about feeding, sleep schedules, and babyproofing. Our classes provide the info you need to feel confident and well-prepared.
Having a baby is one of the most important decisions you’ll make. So is choosing where to have your baby. Use our guide to compare your options and find your ideal birth center.
Illness and injury tend to strike when you least expect it. Learn when you should bring your baby to the nearest ER, and when you should call your doctor.