Comprehensive neurorehabilitation program
At Johnston-Willis in Richmond, Virginia, you can expect our neurological care team to be with you on your journey to living with a disease affecting your brain and nervous system or recovering after a neurological event. Our expert team develops a customized plan to help you regain your cognitive, physical, emotional and social abilities, skills and independence.
For more information about our neurological rehabilitation services, please call (804) 320-3627.
Rehabilitation for neurological injuries and disorders
Our neurorehab program, awarded a Gold Seal Certificate of Distinction for Stroke Rehabilitation by the Joint Commission, offers expert, effective therapies to address a wide range of neurological conditions, including:
- Stroke recovery
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries
- Parkinson's disease
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease)
- Balance disorders
Neurological rehabilitation services and treatments
At Johnston-Willis, you can expect us to be by your side all the way along your path to recovery. Once approved by your physician, we begin rehabilitation right in your room, while you're still in our care as an inpatient, helping expedite the recovery process and get you feeling more like yourself.
The goal of neurorehab is to get you back into living your regular life as independently and safely as possible. Our team works with you to refine your abilities with programs such as:
- Advanced speech and swallowing therapies
- Re-learning of daily activities, including bathing, dressing, toileting, writing and eating
- Assistance with home-based skills, including cooking and cleaning
- Physical therapy to help increase range of motion and rebuild strength, balance and flexibility
- Cognitive exercises to improve memory, concentration and decision-making skills
- Driving assessment services
- Outpatient rehabilitation services
Rehabilitation for Parkinson's disease
About 60,000 Americans get diagnosed with Parkinson's disease each year, but that diagnosis does not mean your quality of life has to suffer.
At Johnston-Willis Hospital, we offer an innovative, research-based Parkinson's disease rehabilitation program to assist patients living with speech and movement impairments. Our program is led by neurologists, neurosurgeons and therapists with specialized training in Parkinson's and other movement disorders with the goal of improving your standard of living and reducing the burden on caregivers.
Individual treatment sessions with our specialists may help you achieve:
- Improved vocal articulation and volume
- Improvements in facial expression
- Increased balance
- Increased limb movement and coordination
- Increased endurance
- Improved mood and overall outlook
Driving assessment program
If you have a neurological disorder or have gone through a neurological event, such as stroke or brain injury, one of your fears may be not being able to drive. Johnston-Willis offers a driving assessment program taught by a certified driver rehabilitation specialist who has studied the social, emotional and physiological implications of illness and injury. These specialists will:
- Evaluate your medical history and driving record
- Assess your physical, cognitive and sensory-motor skills
- Determine if you need adaptive equipment
- Help you locate any needed equipment for your vehicle